Sunday, May 20, 2012

I'm in Africa!?

So, it's 3am here in South Africa, and Margo and I are wide awake. Nothing like a really long plane ride and six hour time difference to shake up your sleep schedule! Anyway, I figured I could blog to pass some time, although not much has happened yet. The plane ride was alright. I watched about 4 movies and slept a lot. We also had some very delicious food as far as airplane food goes, but some of it we still have no idea what it was haha. As we landed in Johannesburg, the sun was setting, and it was absolutely gorgeous! When we got off the plane, we went through customs, got our bags, and met with our guide--all a quick and painless process :)

Our guide drove us to our hotel and tried to tell us about things we were passing, but I could barely hear him. From what I gathered, he showed us a township and stadium of some type. What I did understand that was cool, is they have these tunnel-looking things that glow blue. Apparently they scan each car and charge them. So, essentially a toll road, but without having to stop at a booth. I thought it was a neat idea. Then, we got to our hotel, watched some TV, and went to bed around 9pm. Hence, we are wide awake again at 3am.

In a few hours we will be heading out of Johannesburg to Mpumalanga to visit an old mining village called Pilgrim's Rest, where gold was first discovered. We're really excited to meet the other people we'll be traveling with and start seeing all of the sights in South Africa before settling down in Bloemfontein!

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you guys!! Everyone I tell that I am going to South Africa has some comment to make about diamonds...so I thought I'd throw one in since you're going to a mine! Haha! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures before I join you!

    ReplyDelete